“More often than not the achievements of Scotland’s minority ethnic youth go unsung – the Young Scottish Minority Ethnic Awards will change this trend for the better. Unfortunately our youth are often cast in a negative light – with frequent aspersions cast, perhaps disproportionately on ethnic minorities, as a result of the actions of a few – these awards endeavour to let Scotland’s minority ethnic youth glow in their own right, not only within their communities’, but, in the public forum as well.
“Supporting, encouraging and congratulating the achievements of Scotland’s minority ethnic youth is imperative in developing a generation of youngsters who take pride in themselves, their actions, their community, and their country – the Young Scottish Minority Ethnic Awards is a great vehicle through which this can be achieved. Needless to say I’m thoroughly looking forwarded to meeting some of Scotland’s most inspirational and talented youngsters.” Bashir Ahmad MSP.
The Young Scottish Minority Ethnic Awards will:
1. Acknowledge & highlight the achievements of young Scots from minority Ethnic backgrounds
2. Educate the general public with examples of youth achievement.
3. Encourage & motivate young Scots from minority Ethnic backgrounds at all levels in their chosen field of endeavour.
4. Develop a sense of pride in being Scottish
5. Build self-confidence through rewards for excellence.
6. Provide role models & mentors for our youth by highlighting their achievements and the pursuit of excellence.
7. Develop and encourage leadership and life skills in young Scots
The awards recognise the achievements of minority Ethnic youth in the following categories: Community Contribution; Best Arts Contribution; Sports Achievements; Friend of the Environment; Career Achievement; Future Political Force; Science & Technology/Engineering Initiative; Apprentice of the Year; Spirit of Scotland.
Young Scots from minority Ethnic backgrounds aged between 14 and 26 years are eligible for nomination. The nominations are now open and will close of the 8th of August – the nomination form is available on the Young Scottish Minority Ethnic Awards Website www.whozthedaddy.info