There is currently a huge need for more ethnic donors to come forward. Black people are three times as likely as the general population to develop kidney failure and the need for organs in the Asian community is three to four times higher than that of the white community. This is because of conditions such as diabetes and heart disease that can result in organ failure, are more prevalent in the Asian population.
The UKT ‘Superhero’ team will visit 13 universities during Freshers’ Week to find new heroes who want to show their superpowers and save a life one day. Last year, more than 2,500 students across the UK made that extra special decision and signed up to be a lifesaver. UKT hopes that students will smash this target this year.
The Superhero roadshow will challenge students to test their nerves of steel and demonstrate their ‘superpowers’ on a specially designed game at the stand.
Behind the fun Superhero theme is a very serious message as Angie Burton, Marketing and Campaigns Manager for UK Transplant explains:
“Around 8,000 people are currently waiting for a transplant and over 400 people die each year while waiting. We can all be a superhero and save a life one day by recording our wish to be an organ donor on the NHS Organ Donor Register. With more people on the register more lives could be saved.”
There are already 13.5 million people on the NHS Organ Donor Register and 30% of people join aged between 16 and 25. Angie continues,
“Statistics show that young people are great supporters of organ donation and willing to give the gift of life. We hope that students will flex their superpowers this autumn and decide to join the NHS Organ Donor Register. It really is a life-saving decision.”
The UK Transplant team will visit the following universities:
· University of Leeds: Monday 18th September
· Liverpool John Moores: Tuesday 19th September
· UCE Birmingham: Wednesday 20th September
· Manchester Metropolitan University: Thursday 21st September
· University of Wolverhampton: Friday 22nd September
· University of the West of England, Bristol: Friday 22nd September
· University of Cardiff: Tuesday 26th and Wednesday 27th September
· University of Swansea: Thursday 28th September
· University of Hertfordshire: Friday 29th September
· Exeter University: Sunday 1st October
· Sheffield Hallam University: Tuesday 3rd October
· Leicester University: Wednesday 4th October
· Bristol University: Thursday 5th and Friday 6th October
To find out more about organ donation and to join the NHS Organ Donor Register please call the Organ Donor Line on 0845 60 60 400 or visit the website at www.uktransplant.org.uk