Every year at Zimfest time, thousands who love Zimbabwe, gather in a field, listen to music, have a meal and play sport for charity. The vibe at Zimfest is astonishing…the warmth, humour and resilience of the Zimbabwean people.
Phillip Chikwiramakomo, from WEZIMBABWE charity said: “This is now the biggest Zimbabwean Charity event in the world, and as we all know, our people back home need everyone’s help more than ever.”
TUKU HEADLINING – This year the WEZIMBABWE charity are very proud to welcome the Godfather of Zimbabwean music Oliver Mtukudzi – arguably Zimbabwe’s biggest ever musician who plays to adoring audiences across the world; his unique brand of ‘Tuku Music’ embodies the humour, humility and towering talent of this living legend. See: www.tukumusic.com He’s joined by a host of other excellent Zimbabwean artists through the day.
• Date: 30 August 2008. All day from 12 noon – 10 pm.
• Venue: Prince George’s Playing Fields, Bushey Rd, Raynes Pk, London SW20.
• Tickets: £20 Advance: Online and over the counter (see http://www.wezimbabwe.org/tickets.aspx for more details) £30 at the gate.
• Acts: Oliver Mtukudzi, Mann Friday, Siyaya Arts, Rina Mushonga, Harare, BKAY n Kazz, Mashasha, Dhindindi, plus a few more surprises and rotational DJs! See: http://www.wezimbabwe.org/lineup.aspx for links to artists’ pages.
• Other: Braai, football tourney, sevens rugby, beer (cold and fast!), women’s sports, sadza, gochi gochi, stands, kiddies tent, marimba, drums, mbira other cool cultural happenings.
There are so many stories to tell here, from the acts, to the survivors, to the growth of the festival over the last six years and how the money helps those at home.
Media Contact: Sinead Parsons at: firstname.lastname@example.org
or telephone: 020 7549 0355 – or 07879894762. (Or Sylvester Mutsigwa – 07958591338)
WEZIMBABWE is a registered charitable organisation dedicated to the empowerment of Zimbabweans through the development of a strong and united global Zimbabwean community and to the provision of access to formal education and non-formal life skills training for children and young people throughout Zimbabwe.