Jamaica Live! is a party honouring one year to the go to London 2012 and Birmingham’s role as host for the Jamaican 2012 Olympians. Jamaica Live! also celebrates Birmingham’s unique historic links with Jamaica’s people and with Caribbean culture.
Ammo Talwar MBE, director of Punch, says: “Birmingham’s Jamaican guests will be a major asset to the city in 2012 and we’re delighted to celebrate that through this Open Weekend event. Usain Bolt is an inspiring sportsman; like an Ali, a Cantona or a Khan he captures everyone’s imagination. All eyes will be on our city next year. Jamaica Live! is about celebrating that, along with our city’s unique fusion of Jamaican music, fashion, food and style”
Levi Roots Says “I’m so looking forward to Jamaica Live! It’s going to be a fun, creative and safe festival for everyone. By ‘Live’ we mean one nation alive, old school, inspirational, and ready for 2012 where old and young can enjoy themselves, eat food, and where you can just drop-in and talk to the musicians and artists, come and say hello!”
Jamaica Alive! Activities include:
• Free live music on the Big Stage throughout the day, headlined by the Reggae Philharmonic Orchestra, Steel Pulse Tribute band, and gospel star Monique.
• Family-friendly comedy from TV’s Annette Fagon, Toju and Tony Hendricks, as well as spoken word artists in our story tent.
• Drumming workshops; Jamaican style. Visitors can bring a drum and join in with our collective drumming groups.
• Freshly-cooked Islands-style food available from local Caribbean chefs and vendors on site.
• Jamaican-style cooking demonstration from Reggae Reggae Sauce icon Levi Roots, live under the Big Screen.