‘Karman’ began its’ journey in 2011, when the Centre for Indian Classical Dance (CICD) based in Leicester, trained and worked with a team of twenty-five volunteer historians who between them recorded over seventy hours of oral history interviews. To accompany this, volunteers worked through an impressive and comprehensive archive of leaflets, posters and newspaper cuttings held by CICD. This innovative research and unique collection has led to a fascinating touring exhibition and accompanying book called ‘Karman’.
‘Karman’ not only documents the achievements of the past but explores how these have affected South Asian dance and arts in the UK over the last forty years. ‘Karman’ also describes the social changes related to these developments and therefore presents a unique piece of history that has never been exhibited in Leicester before.
‘Karman’ is not only designed for those interested in the history of Indian classical dance but also offers a rare insight for those wanting to learn more about the diverse arts and cultural heritages of the UK.
"Working in Leicester for the past 30 years makes ‘Karman’ project very special for me as it explores the living history of Indian classical dance in the UK. It exhibits the roots of Indian classical dance and music through contribution by early pioneers, professional dancers, musicians, members of the community and art lovers.” Nilima Devi – Artistic Director, CICD
The exhibition is free and includes:
• Narrative panels: exploring the origins and features of Indian classical dance and the impact and influence of other dance forms on its development
• Quotation panels: quotes drawn from seventy hours of interviews recorded specifically for this project
• Flyer collages: showcasing some of the thousands of period posters, flyers and leaflets from the CICD’s archive
‘Karman’ will officially launch on Thursday 14th June 2012 at the LCB Depot in the heart of Leicester’s Cultural Quarter, as part of the Indian Summer festival. This will be followed by a tour of the exhibition to various venues across Leicester reaching out to a diverse range of audiences.
2012 Tour Venues/ Dates:
– Embrace Arts, 11 – 27 May
– Peepul Centre, 28 May – 08 June
– LCB Depot, 11 – 22 June
– Hamilton Library, 03 – 17 July
– St Barnabas Library, 17 – 30 July
– South Fields Library, 31 July – 15 August
– Belgrave Library, 03 – 17 September
– BBC Radio Leicester, 01 – 17 October
– Curve Theatre, 08 – 19 November
– Highfields Library, 19 – 30 November
For further information, please contact Dawinder Bansal
Tel: 0116 255 2862